ab

Notice - Behavior of a group of medical students in the 39th batch.

Picture of LMS Administrator Darshana Jayasuriya
Notice - Behavior of a group of medical students in the 39th batch.
by LMS Administrator Darshana Jayasuriya - Saturday, 28 August 2021, 3:34 PM

Dear all,

One student of the 39th batch was found to be positive for COVID after RAT done as she had few symptoms. She was doing pre-professorial medical appointments at the moment and the arrangements were made to send her to a treatment centre.
On investigation it was revealed that  four girls had close contact with her and there was clear risk behavior including cooking together without masks and eating in the same plate. Health authorities advised me to isolate  those four students  and to continue the appointments for the rest of the students. As there is no need for the Faculty to take responsibility of their irresponsible behavior I contacted those parents and requested them to take those students home for home quarantine. However out of the three I could contact yesterday two of them were unable to do so due to financial constraints, traveling restrictions and due to the fact one family being affected with Covid. They are from Balangoda.   I obliged to keep them in the hostels provided that the batch mates can supply the meals without getting contaminated. The warden and sub wardens will monitor the process. Subsequently I informed the other father from Embilipitiya who agreed to take his daughter home not to come if there are difficulties and he was very grateful as he said that it will be difficult for him to find a behavior. However I have informed the parents that they will have to leave the hostels when the quarantine period is completed. 
I think that the Faculty should not tolerate this type of irresponsible, stupid behavior which could be harmful for all of us. Please note that it was only a week ago that I have specifically warned them in eating as groups.
Sending this for your information about the  reality of the situation we have face due to the lack of responsibility of the medical students in the Faculty. In the meantime I need your fullest corporation to prevent this type of suicidal and murderous behavior of the medical students for the benefit of all the innocent students who behave wisely and of the staff.
(Please note that this letter is circulated  among the members of the academic staff and the VC and DVC.)
Thank you
--
Professor Vasantha Devasiri
Dean Faculty of Medicine,
University of Ruhuna.
28/08/2021